Our 2017-18 Nonprofit Partner – Charlotte Rescue Mission

 

Charlotte Rescue Mission is transforming lives by serving people struggling with addiction, poverty, or hopelessness with the goal of returning them to society as productive, self-sufficient citizens.


The organization's vision is to be recognized as a leader in providing residential recovery programs that help people struggling with the disease of addiction achieve long-term sobriety, find employment and stable housing, and restore and build healthy relationships.


Founded in 1938, Charlotte Rescue Mission has a long history of reaching out to the homeless and those battling addiction.  Over the years, the Mission has been located in several different uptown Charlotte buildings and has had several different names, but its commitment to serving the homeless has never changed.


Many people who came to the Mission for help during these early years were struggling with addiction. In 1990, the Mission launched a 90-day residential program empowering individuals to move beyond cycles of homelessness and addiction to become productive citizens in the community.  This program is known as Rebound and has helped thousands of men over the years. In 2016, the program grew to become a 120-day program.


Rebound served men struggling with addiction and homelessness, but, despite a staggering community need, there was no similar program for women. In 1992, Charlotte Rescue Mission launched the Dove's Nest program. Similar to Rebound, Dove's Nest provides comprehensive addiction recovery services for women.


In 1995, Rebound men's Halfway House opened its doors. The Halfway House provides further opportunities for Rebound graduates to maintain long-term sobriety as they transition out of dependency on community programs and transition into self-sufficiency.


In 2008, Dove's Nest Capital Campaign was launched to expand Dove's Nest women's addiction recovery program from a 12-bed facility to a 120-bed facility. For the first time in its history, the Mission is now able to serve children as well as their mothers, with beds for 90 women and 30 of their children. Doors of this new facility opened in July 2012.